Not all shrubs and trees will thrive in areas where floods are frequent, including most evergreen shrubs.
But all is not lost - there is a wide variety of shrubs and trees that positively revel in these challenging conditions, for example:
1.Willows - from small Kilmarnock to tall
2.Berberis thunbergii atropurpurea - purple leaves
3.Cornus sibirica - the adaptable dogwood
4.Sambucus - elders of all colours
5.Symphoricarpos - a pretty shrub
6. Mahonia (x media & aquifolium) - both evergreen
7. Cotoneaster Cornubia - mainly evergreen, grows into a small tree
8. Lonicera pilata - low growing tough evergreen shrub
9. Pseudosasa japonica - an impressive big bamboo that is largely evergreen
10. Evergreen privet - not very exciting perhaps, but a great screening plant & difficult to kill! Even if it loses its lower leaves in a flood, they will come back.
Pictured: cornus sibirica, one of the dogwood family, which makes a handsome, fast growing shrub. Elegantissima is particularly flood-hardy and has pretty variegated foliage.